Translate

Friday, May 29, 2015

On not updating

I wish I could claim I forgot to update my post on Ethiopian Jewish protests for ideological reasons...but actually I was just too busy. I never finished editing video I shot....and I don't think I will anytime soon.

I'm tired from many things--and I guess in part because of the free information society I'm perpetrating. Social critics have already discussed the issue that everything on the internet comes with the expectation that it's 'free.' I appreciate the free information, the free misinformation less...

But I don't think the internet created this problem at all. Recently I've gotten very bitter that many people around me expect free medical advice, and I'm not talking about the refugee populations I volunteer with. I mean people with perfectly good insurance and access to decent medical care. The thought process seems to be that I must enjoy medicine so much I'm willing to do them a favor because really they are doing me a favor...the favor of getting to work for free.

Of course no one would expect me to do a surgery for free- but those little unimportant things like thinking about, diagnosing, and advising on illness- that apparently has no value I'm not willing to part with, and requires no thanks.

I'm all for sharing- but dear general public , please keep in mind if you can walk up to me on the street and explain your health complaints, you can probably just as easily walk to another doctor's actual office. Offices and hospitals have equipment so that if something is really wrong, they can help you. I refuse to carry around things like an otoscope in my purse, OK? Further, thinking is hard work...so the least you can do is be appreciative. The ultimate insult is when someone asks for an opinion, then explains to me why they know better. If you don't believe in drugs, and will only use herbal 'natural' medicines, then why on earth would you even ask my opinion?

With annoyance,
One disgruntled doc...

No comments:

Post a Comment