Translate

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Everyone is an editor...NOT!

I never edit this blog....it's just my personal rambling...

I have worked as an academic editor, and it usually takes me about an hour to finish three pages. I am meticulous when I am getting paid. I also add additional references and ideas. I have two degrees, and I use them...

As I have been dealing with different editors for my book, I am reminded of the time years ago I paid good money to have my resume translated to Hebrew. I got the resume back, and found errors in it. I confronted the translator, and she admitted I was right about the errors. She changed them immediately. She had taken over a week to produce something I could have made myself with Google translate. I was angry, extremely angry.

As I deal with editors I am finding they don't know basics, and can't follow instructions. I'm talking BASICS, like italicize or put quotations around a book title...put a page of a book all in the same font and size....These people often claim to have degrees, but I couldn't have passed high school if I edited my own writing this badly. OK, OK...so I went to one of the top high schools in the country, but still...WTF! Money seems to be no good barometer of quality...because everyone I have paid, regardless of the amount, totally sucks.

I found out about one good editor from a friend...but she is too busy to do any work this month...what I really want to know is whether these bad editors know they are scammers. Do they actually think they are worth anything. Is this how Americans all operate, imagining that they are brilliant when they can't even fix spelling mistakes?

For the sake of anyone looking for an editor I want to include some reviews of lousy editors I have dealt with...but I can't even do that without fear of getting into a lawsuit. I feel that every last thing in America besides expensive yogurt and lettuce is a scam in one form or another. I'm going to go into a cave and edit my own work...

No comments:

Post a Comment